Thursday, September 2, 2010

Morning Meditation

The Three Sisters
I read about an artist, Michel Lefebvre, in an excellent post on 'Working in Quiet Solitude' over at Art Propelled.  Apparently at 5.30 each morning he rises and designs a mixed media collage. He does this as a form of meditation.  I have been wanting to develop a few storycloths to work on rather than focusing on just one at a time. I thought that trying a morning meditation might be just the way for this to happen.  I did not rise at 5.30 am, however I was thinking about 'The Three Sisters' at 5.30 am. I am developing a story around this theme and the above image is my first attempt at communicating part of the story in cloth.  This morning I had a couple of rules:

1) KISS - keep it simple stupid
2) experiment for a limited time with colours and shapes and fabrics.I took about an hour, but for a morning meditation I think 30 minutes all up would be ideal.

I am hoping to gain confidence with taking risks, gain experience with different compositions, shapes, colours, dimensions etc. Also, of course to build a portfolio of sorts. A portfolio of experience.

'The Three Sisters' measures six inches by eight and a quarter inches. I am going to stick with small for awhile.

At close of needle yesterday I had attached bluebird and some flower stalks on 'Bluebird in the Early Morning' (Janet Bolton). It is looking serene. I will make progress posts.

Tomorrow is posting day (barr anything preventing) for 'How Raven Wrecked a Wedding'. I am feeling a bit nervous as it is such a long way from professional. But it is a significant achievement for me, and it is a bit quaint I guess. You'll see tomorrow. I told my husband that the best I can say for it is this: 'If I saw it in a thrift store I might buy it'

Well, for those of us who love thrift stores it is not a complete put-down.

Happy stitching, Gilly

7 comments:

  1. a piano player serenading 3 sisters. i love it.
    from a distance, the threads of the bottom gold fabric look like piano keys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting comment about whether you would buy your work...
    Often the work is important to the maker because it contains a part of them and is therefore valued by the maker and her friends and family. OThers may value it because it inspires them in some way.
    I don't know I would buy a work based on the quality of the craftmanship only.
    Looking forward to seeing the Raven in full!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi G. thank you for your post on my blog. This blow hole is near Daylesford in Victoria. I hope you have a happy life in Canada and are ready for autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a portfolio of experience is the result of continuing....interesting to be reading your thoughts on all this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when my kid was born and I was high on pregnancy hormones, I started making applique/embroidery patches with the idea of making them into a blanket one day.. I know now, they were story cloths! such a perfect name for them.. I never got round to finishing it though (as is always the way with things I start..) It might be something else I'll have to re-connect with! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you KNOW i am so patiently (?) waiting for
    that bad boy Raven...
    and i love your thought process too. reading
    it, i don't have to have one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Deanna - thank you because I had not seen that. I have changed it actually now - show you next week.

    Liz - I am so appreciative of this comment. I cannot hear it enough- I am doing this to please myself, learn about myself. Thank you.

    Yes jude - that is it - I am continuing.

    Guns - you never know, it may become part of your 365 days. You have kept them - that says most of it.

    grace - thanks.

    ReplyDelete