Thursday, August 19, 2010

New Story Begins

Gead of the Deep Dark Forest

Meet Spirit Bear's son, Gead, bravest warrior in the Deep Dark Forest. Long before time began it was decreed that when the time was right he would marry the beautiful Glorious. But, of course, Raven has other ideas...

I am showing a close-up here of Gead's face and importantly his tear, which ultimately saves him from being fixed in rock forever. The story will emerge over the ensuing days as I post more characters. Then I will post the whole cloth, which is nowhere near completion yet.

The cloth for Gead's face is a lovely piece of canvas that I must have had in the compost bag. It has a beautifully marked area that naturally formed his eye. The remains of his battle helmet is embroidered cheesecloth that is wonderful to use. It, too, was composted and washed.  It became very soft and pliable. It is very easy to manipulate whereas the canvas face was quite tough to get the needle through. You can probably see that I have tried some of the stitches jude recommended from her beasts class. It was great fun developing this character as he just fell into place. In fact this whole storycloth so far has been wonderful fun.

Happy stitching, Gill

8 comments:

  1. Hi Grace - pretty excitng seeing his face up there! How is your raven's wing progressing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's another story happening here where you have tried both photo posting and linking, well done Gill...k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha yes!!! Thank you for your kind help there Kaite. Just been over to your blog and wonder if I have done something that stops me appearing on your blog roll? Or do you choose who appears from among those you follow? Or is it quite separate from followers? Hahaha my ego noticed I wasn't there! G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh gilly, thank you for stopping by... and i am loving this story that you have started. i can't wait to find out more...somewhat like when i would read chapter books to my children may years ago...they would clammer for more before lights out..just one more chapter!.. and congratulations on mastering something i have not yet mastered... links! bravo!...n

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Gill, i follow so many blogs that the blog list on the front of my blog only shows some of them, and i often update it...you'll appear on it soon :) kaite

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been kind of amazed at the stories that have unfolded as I've stitched. The close up really allows the texture of fabric and stitch to show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kaite - I'm not sure what I have clicked on or off yet. G

    Hi Deb - mmm yes I think it is the most exciting part for me - however I tend to lose focus of the overall image with all the colour and surprise of detail. G

    ReplyDelete