Friday, April 8, 2011

Embroidered Garden


Embroidered Garden - (trying to capture some light)
Embroidered Garden - from the side.

Embroidered Garden - from above.

Emroidered Garden is six and a half inches square with heavy textured, and three dimensional, embroidery. This was designed as a sampler in which I tried many stitches. Apart for the excitement and reward of learning new stitching methods I absolutely loved the process of planning the garden. My main resource for the stitches was Three Dimensional Emroidery by Patt Trott. This is a wonderful book with good illustrations, clear instructions and a simple layout.

My desire to plan gardens came originally from one of my favourite books. It is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett in which some 'lost souls' find healing by the regeneration of an old walled garden which was shut down because of tragedy. It is a wonderful story of hope. I have fantasised about enclosed gardens ever since first reading this book when I was eleven years old. Now I have found an outlet for all my imaginary secret gardens.

At close of needle I was still coiling the large basket and I am nearly there!

Happy stitching everyone, Gilly

20 comments:

  1. wow. what texture. i wonder if it would grow if you watered it. beautiful. yes, 'The Secret Garden', a wonderful book and movie (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deanna - it was a great way to learn some new stitches. 3D work is very satisfying. Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Gilly, love your embroidery!!!!
    (I did those upright "woven" points myself on some of the felt brooches: a bit tricky but fun to do !)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Els- yes so much fun to do! Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. what fun to plan/t a garden without heavy digging. I have another book called 3 Dimensional Embroidery by Janet Edmonds, but it's more about making 3D vessel shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there kaite - yes they are quite different books - I really enjoy Janet Edmonds book - the one I referred to gives very good stitching directions whereas Janet assumes a certain skill level. Both inspiring books. Gilly

    Hullo Helmi- thnaks! Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning embroidery....book looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous garden--love the chunkiness of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh thanks for your enthusiasm jensters and Robin - I find the chunkiness appealing as well. Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you are really getting into this 3d art now Gilly. very creative....

    xt

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is inspiring me to pull out my embroidery books! I like the larger threads and the feeling
    it gives me that it may just grow on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous. You've truly captured a real garden in stitchery. Amazingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi T- I had a look back at you lovely basket the other day! Gilly

    Patty - great go for it! Gilly

    Hi there Penny - yes... it does look a bit real..thankyou very much. Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a piece of work. It really does look just like a garden. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!!I love gardens and yours is wonderful.Can we have a pic from a distance? Would love to see how it looks from a little far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! It's a wonderful response to a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thankyou stitchinglife2, the 3D aspect is satisfying. Gilly

    Yes Deepa - I will have an attempt at it when it is sunnier - I am just learning to take the photos of this sort of work. It seems harder to get a good shot at a distance. Gilly

    Hi Deb - yes a great book - two really - Patt Trott's and The Secret Garden. Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  18. BEAUTIFUL! I especially love the little white flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are beautiful!
    Have a happy new week xx

    ReplyDelete